Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Family Values

Elisa fell asleep in my arms tonight watching a Little House on the Prairie episode. This was after I read the girls two stories-- "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Puff the Magic Dragon". Elisa tells me-- "But I DO like green eggs and ham!"
Camille tells me that Puff the Magic Dragon has a happy ending now because Jackie Paper's daughter comes to visit in the end.

There are no sad endings anymore. Watching a Little House on the Prairie Episode, we see a man cured of alcoholism-- a man who once almost beat his son to death. And in the end we are happy because father and son are reunited. I wish real life alcoholism stories could end on that happy note, with Laura and Mary and Carrie dancing down the hill. Too many in the news today end in devastation and condemnation.

Well, there is plenty of dying and suffering in that show-- why is it unreal to think a man can be redeemed? I suppose the one thing that makes that show so different from the way life is now is the amount of faith that people have in the midst of severe hardship.

Faith in human goodness and sacrifice to help a neighbor are values worth holding on to. In the economy of the life I am building from scratch, these things matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment