Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Making Room

Children are asleep in our bed tonight. "But I want to give you guys room," Camille says while still requesting these new arrangements. Elisa is less concerned about her parents' comfort. As long as we leave the light on in the hall. "It's ok Camille, we will move you to your own bed when daddy gets home."

Is there room? This seems to be the question on my mind today...room in my schedule is a big one-- is there room to get everything done? Is there room to reach out to those who might ask more of me? Old friends, new friends, husband, children, community members, family, coworkers, and what about strangers? Is there room for all? I am a habitual overscheduler--though this seems to work ok for me, downsizing mentally as I go along, it drives my husband crazy. Is there room for all I want to do? Probably not, but we'll work it out.

And what about making room for new ideas--giving up control of all my "know-it-all" ideas and letting someone else take the wheel to see where it goes? This might be the hardest one of all to make room for--humility.

It is a quiet night; I have about 5 dozen projects on my mind...surely not room for all. But I'm letting them stick around for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment