Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wrapping Up the Day

It was a day of setbacks and flat tires. On an international level, more war. On a state level, marriage rights were denied to citizens in the State Senate vote against gay marriage (38-24). And on a personal level, plans went awry as Lance forgot to pay the rent, leave me Camille's booster seat, and pick up cash at the bank. To top it all off, I got a flat tire in town. Ugh.

Overall, it could be deemed a bad day. All over the world seems to be vigiling and rallying for one cause or another, and I am still fighting the battle of flat tires and bathtime. It is frustrating.

But on another note, there were hints of light and possibility. For one, a conversation may be evolving in the city of Newburgh--an opportunity for us Unitarians to open a conversation to the public in connection with Martin Luther King Day. This conversation seems a point of entrance for what we uniquely have to offer to a community in need. I have been seeking this entrance point for awhile, and have yet to find it....but this one seems like it may be more than a crack.

And from other ends, I finally got to go to the library with Camille...picked up Little House stories,Louisa May Alcott, picture books, and her choice-a Barbie Pegasus video. We also did a little window shopping, and--after our flat--had a great uphill climb back from Main Street to home. Camille also told me how she wants to be a "cooker" as we worked together to make butternut squash soup. I ordered Lance's Christmas present too...(Won't mention here in case by chance he discovers my blog...). I also met with Camille's teacher and am very happy with Camille's progress in reading (mostly it is confidence in speaking we are still working on.)

So, wrapping up the day, it seems that good shone through--in spite of (or because of) setbacks. And it is these things which give me strength...and these that I will carry with me in the struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment